L to R: Linda Long, Patty Bellasalma & Kimberly Salter @ CA NOW Meeting
California NOW (National Organization for Women) held its annual meeting followed by an executive board session at the Beverly Hills headquarters of the Feminist Majority and Ms. Magazine. Two resolutions were passed, one of which I authored—
Whereas, police misconduct in California and discredited police procedures have a disparate impact on women (such as sexual assault victims) and minority groups:
Therefore be it resolved that California NOW:
1. Joins the California Association of Licensed Investigators (CALI) in calling upon the FBI and United States Department of Justice to adopt the Womens Law Center definition of rape for Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) statistical purposes;
2. Joins the California League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) in supporting the Model Ordinance for Civilian Oversight of Police Misconduct and legislation to enact the recommendations of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice;
3. Supports rolling back the Three Strikes law to apply retroactively to serious and violent felonies only.
Members of San Fernando Valley/Northeast Los Angeles Chapter of NOW (The Valley’s Voice for Choice)
, SFV Council of LULAC, and Los Angeles South NOW (NOW Playing in the Hood)
, participated in the Los Angeles Slutwalk today, protesting rape and violence against women.
NOW members @ West Hollywood Park
NOW "Slutsquad" in Action
Sisterhood is Powerful
- May 28, 2011 4:00 a.m., a LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) activist, Toni, was awakened by her sister’s voice on her voice-mail stating she was in the back of a police squad car. She needed help please come quick, her friend had been raped and the police PLACED THEM in the back of the car and called them [sister, friend, rape victim] “stupid bitches.”
- The rape victim was still in the back of the car when the Toni arrived and she was crying, yelling and cursing. Toni’s sister told her that the deputies told the victim – in her sister’s and the other friend’s presence – “we don’t believe you.” Toni’s sister also said that the Sheriff told Carmen to “stop being hysterical.”
- Toni requested a female deputy; her request was denied.
- Toni called the sheriff’s station (Century) requesting a female officer. They informed Toni that there wasn’t a female officer on-duty. She requested different officers and was told ‘you can’t pick and choose which officers you want/like.’ Toni told them that these officers just called the girls stupid bitches and told the victim they didn’t believe her.
- The operator stayed quiet. She told them she wanted to file a complaint aand they told her to go to the station and quickly hung up the phone. They were very unhelpful, to say the least.
What needs to be done? First and foremost, we need to recognize that SISTERHOOD IS POWERFUL!
- Join us at the Slutwalk in West Hollywood Saturday 6/4/11 from 12-3 p.m.to leaflet the crowd and petition for our program.
- Become a member of one or more of the Same Page/Misma Pagina Coalition organizations, SFV/NELA NOW, SFV LULAC, and/or Los Angeles South NOW (“NOW Playing in the Hood”).
- Join us in our efforts to repeal Section 3307 of the Government Code, ending the prohibition on police departments from requiring their officer to take lie detector tests during disciplinary investigations.
- Support our efforts to enact the “Model Ordinance for Civilian Oversight of Police Misconduct” (for details, email us at email@example.com).